When I hear a piece on the radio I am more often than not struck with inspiration. The music can give me ideas on styles, harmonies, themes and much more, but when I hear something that would make a good arrangement, I am obsessed with the project until completion. There is just something about the challenge of writing a good arrangement for piano that I love.
There are many factors that go into this labour of love: deciding on the format (solo, duet etc), the level for which to arrange, what key to write in, and more. Most times I try to keep the piece in its original key so it sounds closer to the original composition. If it sounds best in four sharps then it is probably not going to be an elementary piano arrangement!
The best part is deciding which notes to keep. My theory background kicks in and I analyze the entire score to help determine which notes are essential to preserve the unique harmonies. My first published arrangement was the piano duet Simple Gifts. Since then I have published nine more arrangements, with more in the works! Here is a list of arrangements:
- In the Hall of the Mountain King (intermediate piano duo)
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice (elementary piano double duo)
- J'entends le Moulin and Celtic Farewell (Farewell to Nova Scotia piano duet, written with Beth Hamilton) from Voyageur Intermediate
- Happy Adventure (Donkey Riding piano duet, written with Beth Hamilton) from Voyageur Late Elementary
- Flashes of Silver (My Paddle Keen and Bright) and The River Runs (She's Like the Swallow) from Canadian Folksongs Vol. 1
- Paddler's Dream (C'est L'aviron) from Canadian Folksongs Vol. 2
- Masquerade (Montagues and Capulets) advanced piano double duo
One of my latest projects includes arranging the most-loved Classical piano themes for elementary or intermediate piano. I am excited to offer the first arrangement in this series, the Rondo Alla Turca from Mozart's Piano Sonata in A Major. This late elementary piano arrangement is a free PDF download for subscribers. Click on the image below to download your free copy now!
Enjoy! ~ Jen